عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Fatigue is thought to affect the anterior cruciate ligament injury risk; thus, the present study was conducted to investigate kinematics, kinetics, and active muscle control strategies of the knee joint in fatigue conditions during a landing task.
Materials and Methods: A total of 15 healthy active male individuals (age: 22.09± 3.18 years; height: 58/7 ± 177 cm; weight: 72/7 ± 71 kg) participated in the current quasi-experimental study. Sit to stand fatigue protocol was used for lower limb fatigue and kinematic and kinetic and muscle activity during normal gait before and after fatigue protocol were collected. Shapiro-Wilk test was used to ensure the normal distribution of data and paired t-test was run to compare variables at p≤0.05 level.
Results: Increased knee flexion velocities (P=0.004), increased knee flexion angle at initial foot contact (p=0.016), and peak knee flexion angle (p<0.02), decreased ground reaction force (p=0.001), increased time to peak force (p=0.02), decreased pre-activation of biceps femois (p=0.00), semitendinosus (p=0.00), and medial gastrocnemius before landing and decreased biceps femoris after landing (p<0.002) were observed.
Conclusion: According to the supportive role of gastrocnemius and hamstrings muscles and contribution of this muscle with ACL ligament at knee joint stability, it seems that lower limb fatigue can lead to ACL injury and reduction of the stability of the knee. Increased flexion angle at foot contact, reduced ground reaction force, and increased time to pike may be related to the nervous system strategy to shock absorption and reduce injury of lower limb joints.
10. Longpré HS, Acker SM, Maly MR. Muscle activation and knee biomechanics during squatting and lunging after lower extremity fatigue in healthy young women. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 2015; 25(1):40-46. ##
11. McLean SG, Felin RE, Suedekum N, Calabrese G, Passerallo A, Joy S. Impact of fatigue on gender-based high-risk landing strategies. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2007; 39(3):502-514. ##
12. Melnyk M, Gollhofer A. Submaximal fatigue of the hamstrings impairs specific reflex components and knee stability. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2007; 15(5):525-532. ##
13. Roberts D, Ageberg E, Andersson G, Fridén T. Effects of short-term cycling on knee joint proprioception in ACL-deficient patients. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2004; 12(5):357-363. ##
14. Kellis E, Kouvelioti V. Agonist versus antagonist muscle fatigue effects on thigh muscle activity and vertical ground reaction during drop landing. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology: Official Journal of the International Society of Electrophysiological Kinesiology 2009; 19(1):55-64. ##
15. Gehring D, Melnyk M, Gollhofer A. Gender and fatigue have influence on knee joint control strategies during landing. Clinical Biomechanics 2009; 31;24(1):82-87. ##
16. Tamura A, Akasaka K, Otsudo T, Sawada Y, Okubo Y, Shiozawa J, Toda Y, Yamada K. Fatigue Alters Landing Shock Attenuation During a Single-Leg Vertical Drop Jump. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine 2016; 4(1):232-242. ##
17. Hollman JH, Hohl JM, Kraft JL, Strauss JD, Traver KJ. Effects of hip extensor fatigue on lower extremity kinematics during a jump-landing task in women: a controlled laboratory study. Clinical Biomechanics 2012; 27(9):903-909. ##
18. Murdock GH, Hubley-Kozey CL. Effect of a high intensity quadriceps fatigue protocol on knee joint mechanics and muscle activation during gait in young adults. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2012; 112(2):439-449. ##
19. Hubley-Kozey C, Deluzio K, Dunbar M. Muscle co-activation patterns during walking in those with severe knee osteoarthritis. Clinical Biomechanics. 2008; 23(1):71-80. ##
20. Chappell JD, Herman DC, Knight BS, Kirkendall DT, Garrett WE, Yu B. Effect of fatigue on knee kinetics and kinematics in stop-jump tasks. The American journal of sports medicine. 2005; 33(7):1022-1029. ##
21. Fagenbaum R, Darling WG. Jump landing strategies in male and female college athletes and the implications of such strategies for anterior cruciate ligament injury. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2003; 31(2):233-240. ##
22. Parijat P, Lockhart TE. Effects of quadriceps fatigue on the Biomechanics of gait and slip propensity. Gait & Posture. 2008; 28(4):568–573. ##
23. Barbieri FA, Santos PCR, Lirani-Silvia E, Vitório R, Gobbi LTB, van Dieën JH. Systematic review of the effects of fatigue on spatiotemporal gait parameters. Journal of Back & Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. 2013; 26(2):125–131. ##
24. Proske U, Morgan DL. Muscle damage from eccentric exercise: mechanism, mechanical signs, adaptation and clinical applications. The Journal of Physiology. 2001; 537(2):333-345.v
25. Linnamo V, Häkkinen K, Komi PV. Neuromuscular fatigue and recovery in maximal compared to explosive strength loading. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology. 1997; 77(1-2):176-181. ##
26. Moran KA, Marshall BM. Effect of fatigue on tibial impact accelerations and knee kinematics in drop jumps. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2006; 38(10):1836-1842. ##
27. Yeow CH, Lee PV, Goh JC. Regression relationships of landing height with ground reaction forces, knee flexion angles, angular velocities and joint powers during double-leg landing. The Knee. 2009; 16(5): 381-386. ##
28. Coventry E, O’Connor KM, Hart BA, Earl JE, Ebersole KT. The effect of lower extremity fatigue on shock attenuation during single-leg landing. Clinical Biomechanics. 2006; 21(10):1090-1097. ##
29. Gerritsen KG, van den Bogert AJ, Nigg BM. Direct dynamics simulation of the impact phase in heel-toe running. Journal of biomechanics. 1995; 28(6):661-668. ##
30. Cerulli G, Benoit DL, Lamontagne M, Caraffa A, Liti A. In vivo anterior cruciate ligament strain behaviour during a rapid deceleration movement: case report. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2003; 11(5):307-311. ##
31. Barbieri FA, Beretta S, Pereira VA, Simieli L, Orcioli-Silva D, dos Santos PCR, Gobbi LT B. Recovery of gait after quadriceps muscle fatigue. Gait & Posture. 2016; 43:270-274. ##
32. Padua DA, Arnold BL, Perrin DH, Gansneder BM. Fatigue, vertical leg stiffness, and stiffness control strategies in males and females. Journal of Athletic Training 2006; 41(3):294-304. ##
33. Lloyd DG, Buchanan TS, Besier TF. Neuromuscular biomechanical modeling to understand knee ligament loading. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2005; 37(11):1939-1947. ##