عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: One of the effects attributed to Kinesio tape is increasing muscle strength. Several studies have been conducted in this area providing conflicting results. Perhaps one of the reasons for the variety of results is the difference in using Kinesio tape. Due to the fact that the effects of Kinesio tape depend on factors such as level of tension and the amount of its coverage, we aimed to investigate the effect of these factors on the immediate increase of muscle strength.
Materials and Methods: Participants of the study included 30 healthy non-athlete female randomly examined with nine different modes of Kinesio tape. The Kinesio tape was applied by three levels of tension (0, 30, and 60 percent) and also three different levels of contact on the Quadriceps muscle of the subdominant leg, and the extents of torque were measured prior to and after applying the type. The mean of the maximum extension of three extensor contractions was calculated before and after applying the Kinesio tape.
Result: Applying Kinesio tape increased the knee extensor torque (P<0.05). The net effect of the two factors of tension and coverage of Kinesio tape on the increase of muscle strength was not found to be statistically significant, but the interaction of tension and breadth of coverage does create a significant effect (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Although the Kinesio tape causes a slight increase in the Quadriceps muscle’s strength, changing the tension and extension of Kinesio tape stretch did not have an immediate impact on the increase of knee extensor torque.
10. Garnett R, Stephens J. Changes in the recruitment threshold of motor units produced by cutaneous stimulation in man. The Journal of physiology. 1981;311(1):463-73. ##
11. Konishi Y. Tactile stimulation with Kinesiology tape alleviates muscle weakness attributable to attenuation of Ia afferents. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2013;16(1):45-8. ##
12. Hsieh T, Wu P, Liao J, Kuo T, Wu T, Huang C, et al. Does elastic taping on the triceps surae facilitate the ability of vertical jump? Journal of Biomechanics. 2007;40:S412. ##
13. Fratocchi G, Di Mattia F, Rossi R, Mangone M, Santilli V, Paoloni M. Influence of Kinesio Taping applied over biceps brachii on isokinetic elbow peak torque. A placebo controlled study in a population of young healthy subjects. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2013;16(3):245-9. ##
14. Park Y-H. Effects of taping application type on grip power, pinch power, and EMG activity. Science. 2013;1(5):239-43. ##
15. Cools A, Witvrouw E, Danneels L, Cambier D. Does taping influence electromyographic muscle activity in the scapular rotators in healthy shoulders? Manual therapy. 2002;7(3):154-62. ##
16. Kümmel J, Mauz D, Blab F, Vieten M. Effect of Kinesio Taping on Performance in Counter-movement Jump: Bibliothek der Universität Konstanz; 2011. ##
17. Briem K, Eythörsdöttir H, Magnúsdóttir RG, Pálmarsson R, Rúnarsdöttir T, Sveinsson T. Effects of kinesio tape compared with nonelastic sports tape and the untaped ankle during a sudden inversion perturbation in male athletes. journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2011;41(5):328-35. ##
18. Nunes GS, de Noronha M, Cunha HS, Ruschel C, Borges Jr NG. Effect of Kinesio Taping on Jumping and Balance in Athletes: A Crossover Randomized Controlled Trial. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2013;27(11):3183-9. ##
19. Ford-Smith CD, Wyman JF, Elswick Jr R, Fernandez T. Reliability of stationary dynamometer muscle strength testing in community-dwelling older adults. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2001;82(8):1128-32. ##
20. Gagnon D, Nadeau S, Gravel D, Robert J, Bélanger D, Hilsenrath M. Reliability and validity of static knee strength measurements obtained with a chair-fixed dynamometer in subjects with hip or knee arthroplasty. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2005;86(10):1998-2008. ##
21. Vithoulka I, Beneka A, Malliou P, Aggelousis N, Karatsolis K, Diamantopoulos K. The effects of Kinesio-Taping® on quadriceps strength during isokinetic exercise in healthy non athlete women. Isokinetics and Exercise Science. 2010;18(1):1. ##
22. Wong OM, Cheung RT, Li RC. Isokinetic knee function in healthy subjects with and without Kinesio taping. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2012;13(4):255-8. ##
23. ARHAB A, ZILTENER J, GRAF V, ALLET L. Effects of Kinesiotape on quadriceps and hamstring muscle strength. trial.38(7):389-95##