عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Ankle sprain is the most common injury in sports activities. Because of the high prevalence and its implications, it is important to identify specific injury prevention strategies in athletes. External supports such as taping and bracing are used for the sake of this purpose. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of prophylactic athletic ankle taping on maximum vertical ground reaction force (VGRF) and the time to peak VGRF during landing.
Materials and Methods: The current quasi-experimental cross over trial and pre-post test study was performed on 35 healthy female recreational athletes. The force plate was used for data collection. Taping was performed according to Gibney closed basket weave method. Before and after taping, participants landed from the platform with the height of 30 cm on the force plate placed 10 cm far from the platform. Participants were instructed to hop with the dominant leg on the center of the force plate.
Results: The results of the paired T-test analysis revealed no significant changes in peak VGRF following prophylactic athletic ankle taping (P=0.371). However, following the taping, the time to peak VGRF reduced significantly (P=0.001). Also, a significant increase was noticed in the loading rate (P=0.001).
Conclusion: The results of the present study indicated that athletic ankle taping of the dominant leg in female athletes significantly decreased the time to peak VGRF and increased loading rate making musculoskeletal structures get affected by VGRF very quickly after landing. It seems that using prophylactic athletic ankle taping constantly and over time may facilitate damage to articular structures.
10. Cordova ML, Ingersoll CD, LeBlanc MJ. Influence of Ankle Support on Joint Range of Motion Before and After Exercise: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical therapy 2000; 30(4):170-182.##
11. Mccaw ST, Cerullo JF. Prophylactic ankle stabilizers affect ankle joint kinematics during drop landings. Medicine & Science In Sports & Exercise. 1999: 702-707.##
12. Yi C, Brunt D, Kim H, Fiolkowski P. Effect of ankle taping and exercise on EMG and kinetics during landing. J .phy . the . sci 2003; 15(2):81-85.##
13. Simpson K J, Yom J P, Yang-Chieh Fu , Arnett S W, O’Rourke S, Brown C N. Does Wearing a Prophylactic Ankle Brace During Drop Landings Affect Lower Extremity Kinematics and Ground Reaction Forces? Journal of Applied Biomechanics 2013; 29:205-213.##
14. Vanwanseele B, Stuelckenb M, Greeneb A, Smithb R. The effect of external ankle support on knee and ankle joint movement and loading in netball players. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2013.##
15. Riemann BL, Schmitz RJ, Gale M, McCaw S. Effect of Ankle Taping and Bracing on Vertical Ground Reaction Forces During Drop Landings Before and After Treadmill Jogging. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy 2002 ;32:628-635.##
16. Decker MJ, Torry MR, Wyland DJ, Sterett WI, Richard Steadman J. Gender differences in lower extremity kinematics, kinetics and energy absorption during landing. Clinical Biomechanics2003; 18:662-669.##
17. Hass CJ, Bishop MD , Doidge D, Wikstrom EA. Chronic ankle instability alters central organization of movement. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 2010; 38(4):829-834##
18. Gribble PA, Taylor BL, Shinohara J. Bracing does not improve dynamic stability in chronic ankle instability subjects.Physical Therapy in Sport 2010; 11:3-7.##
19. Ross SE, Guskiewcz KM, Gross MT, Yu B. Balance Measures for Discriminating between Functionally Unstable and Stable Ankles. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2009; 399-407.##
20. McLean SG, Borotikar B, Lucey SM. Lower limb muscle pre-motor time measures during a choice reaction task associate with knee abduction loads during dynamic single leg landings. Clin biomech2010; 25(6):563-569.##
21. Decker MJ, Torry MR, Noonan TJ, Riviere A, Sterett WI. Landing adaptations after ACL reconstruction. Med Sci Sports Exerc.2002; 34:1408–13.##
22. Wright KE. Wight W. Prevention techniques: Taping, Wrapping techniques and protective devices. cramer company.3ed.2005.##
23. Yi C, Brunt D, Kim H, Fiolkowski P. Effect of ankle taping and exercise on EMG and kinetics during landing. J .phy . the . sci 2003; 15(2):81-85.##
24. Fong C , Blackburn JT, Norcross MF, McGrath M, Darin A. Padua DA. Ankle-Dorsiflexion Range of Motion and Landing Biomechanics. Journal of Athletic Training 2011; 46(1):5–10.##