عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Hyperkyphosis can lead to reduced respiratory capacity, postural disturbance and increased risk of falling. Despite the evidences about the more postural stiffness and kyphosis in elderly compared with young subjects and despite the known role of sex hormones and menopause in lowering the bone density, there is not any study about the effect of sex on the amount of thoracic kyphosis. The objective of this study is measuring and comparing the amount of spinal thoracic kyphosis and postural stiffness between the old females and males.
Methods and Materials: In this descriptive-analytical study, in 36 healthy old subjects (21 female and 15 male) the amount of spinal thoracic kyphosis was measured by flexible ruler mounted between the spinous process T12 and C7 during, relaxed and erect postures. The difference of the kyphosis in relaxed and erect posture was used as an index of postural stiffness. The kyphosis and postural stiffness was compared between the females and males.
Results: The average amount of kyphosis in relaxed and erect standing didn’t have statistically significant difference between females and males. The subjects in both groups could decrease theirs kyphosis in standing erect position (P=0.0001), but the amount of this decrease (postural stiffness) was not different between the females and males.
Conclusion: In old women (which aren’t osteoporotic) hormonal changes due to menopause didn’t induce a statistically significant difference compared to old men in kyphosis and postural stiffness.Postural stiffness was increased by increasing the BMI that could suggest the BMI as an efficient factor in reducing the mobility of the spine.
10. Murtagh J، Kenna C. “Back pain and spinal manipulation “A Practical guide.USA: Butterworth Heinemann; 1997. P. 86.
11. Culter WB، Friendmann E، Genovese stone E. Prevalence of kyphosis in a healthy sample of pre and postmenopausal women. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1993 ;72(4) :219-25
12. London MA، Li MWY، Bibesthein S. Interrater and intrarater reliability in the measurement of kyphosis in post menopausal women with osteoprosis. Spine1998; 18(23):1978-1985.
13. Hoppenfeld S. Physical examination of spine and extremities. Appleton/century /crofts. East Norwalk; 10(1):1976.
14. Youdas JW، Garrett TR، Harmsen S، Suman VJ، Carey JR. Lumbar lordosis and pelvic inclination of asymptomatic adults. Phys ther 1996; 80(3):1060-1081.
15. Youdas JW، Suman VJ، Garrett TR. Reliability of measurement of lumbar spine sagital mobility obtained with the flexible curve. JOSPT 1995; 21(1): 13-20.
16. Lovell FW، Rothstein JM، Personius WJ. Reliability of clinical measurements of lumbar lordosis taken with a flexible rule. Phys Ther1989; 69(2):96-105.
17. Khalkhali M ، parnianpour M ، Karimi H ، Mobina B ، Kazemnejhad A . The validity and reliability of measurement of thoracic kyphosis using flexible ruler in postural hyper-kyphotic patients. Biomechanics 2006 ; 39(1suppl):S 541
18. Kado DM، Haung MH، Barrett-Connor E، Greendale GA. Hyperkyphotic posture and poor physical ability in older community- dwelling men and women: the Rancho Bernardo study. J Gerontol A BioL Sci Med Sci 2005;60(5):633-7
19. Katzman WB، Wanek L، Shepherd JA، Sellmeyer DE. Age-related hyperkyphosis: its causes، consequences and management. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2010;40(6):352-360
20. Milne JS، Lauder IJ. The relationship of kyphosis to the shape of vertebral bodies. Ann Hum Biol 1976; 3(2); 173-9.
21. Grados F، Fardellone P، Benammar M، Muller C، Roux C، Sebert JL. Influence of age and sex on vertebral shape indices assessed by radiographic morphometry.Osteoporos Int 1999; 10(6): 450-5.
22. Milne JS، Williamson J. A longitudinal study of kyphosis in older people. Age Ageing 1983; 12(3): 225-33.
23. Boyle JJ، Milne N، Singer KP. Influence of age on cervicothoracic spinal curvature: An ex vivo radiographic survey. Clin Biomech (Bristol، Avon) 2002; 17(5):361-7.
24. Macagno AE، O' Brien MF. Thoracic and Thoracolumbar kyphosis in adults. Spine 2006; 31(19 suppl): 161-170.
25. Giglio Ca، Volpon JB. Development and evaluation of thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis during growth. J child orthop 2007; 1(3):187-193.
26. Granito RN، Aveiro MC، Renno ACM، Oishi J، Driusso P. Comparison of thoracic kyphosis degree، trunk muscle strength and joint position sense among healthy and osteoporotic elderly women: A cross-sectional preliminary study. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2012; 54(2):e199-202